A technical contributor who can apply the knowledge of tools, engineering principles, programming languages, and technical practices to how and what is built to produce well-crafted quality software. Sets an example for technical best practices. Supports peers and coaches junior team members to grow their skills.
- Provides technical leadership, and advocates and implements improvements in working practices within the team
- Acts as a coach and mentor, providing support and advice to other members of the team
- Continuously aware of emerging technological trends and propose and implement new solutions and industry standard techniques
- Enhances the scalability and performance of Open GI systems
- Delivers new product features and enhancements as reliably and efficiently as possible
- Liaises with Product Owners, Project Managers, Business Analysts, Architects, Engineers and QAs to establish and implement requirements and/or resolve live operational issues
Your key responsibilities
- Getting code into production: ability to get code of all types – including new features, configuration changes, bug fixes and experiments – into production, or into the hands of users, safely and quickly in a sustainable way.
- Test Driven Development: designs and develops tests to specify and validate what the code will do with the goal to make the code clearer, simple and bug-free.
- Ability to write, maintain and design the business logic of a software application, the data or services requested are available, as well as create and maintain the core databases, data and application program interfaces (APIs) to other backend processes.
- Collaboration: works jointly with others to co-create and achieve a common goal. This includes learning, practicing, and experimenting with tools, techniques and frameworks that foster collaborative working environments.
- Continuous integration: ability to write code in a way that supports continuous integration of code, that is, frequently committing changes to a single trunk or master.
- Continuous delivery/deployment: ability to use techniques to support continuous delivery or deployment of new functionality.
- Estimation: ability to apply various estimation techniques to predict the most realistic amount of effort required to develop or maintain software based on incomplete, uncertain, and noisy input.
- Ability to design, create and evolve user-facing applications to be scalable, maintainable, secure, aesthetic, and usable within the constraints imposed by the browser using a combination of languages, design skills and client-side scripts and frameworks.
- Securing applications: ability to design and implement software which exhibits good security properties and that avoids common weaknesses and vulnerabilities.
- Clean code: applies state-of-art practices of software design and programming. The understanding of the principles, patterns, and practices of writing clean code that is easy to evolve.
- Emotional intelligence: recognises, understands and manages their own emotions and recognises, understands shares and influences the emotions of others.
- Requirement analysis and articulation: ability to use relevant artifacts, approaches, and processes to understand and communicate what is required and when it is required.
- Coaching and mentoring fellow team members: able to build authentic relationships by involving individuals and effectively sharing information to empower development. Closely works with fellow colleagues to support decision making processes, resolve problems and develop skills and capabilities.
- Outwardly Looking: Proactively seeks ways to improve own experience and knowledge and to close any gaps.
- Pursues activities that stretch and develop skills.
- Capable of owning one or more components/services within the platform.
- Effective communication: ability to address different messages and different audiences in a customised manner not only to achieve clear communication, but also to provoke the desired action when necessary.
- Agile and Lean principles: works with team to continuously improve their Agile approach by guiding and championing Lean and Agile principles for achieving quality, adaptability, speed and alignment. This includes the practices, techniques and tools that support those principles, and an understanding of when things may or may not be applicable in a situation or context.
- Giving and receiving feedback: solicits and engages with feedback on a continuous basis. Has timely, actionable and meaningful conversations about performance for the purpose of shaping behaviours and fostering learning, with the goal of strengthening confidence and improving the effectiveness of self and others.
What you’ll need to succeed
- Azure Cloud Certification advantageous
- Typically, 5+ years of software development experience; 2+ years of technical leadership experience
- Experience of working with evolving architectures
- Experience of cloud-native architecture
- Experience working with Extreme Programming methods
- Experience working within a cross-functional delivery team
- Experience supporting their code running in a production environment
- Experience with any of the followingtechnologies .NET Core, Angular, React or Node.JS
- Communicating and influencing
- Continuous improvement
- Working with others
- Customer focus
- Responding to change
- Problem solving
Drives to outcomes: focuses on results and desired outcomes and how best to achieve them. Able to execute plans through to action. Persistent to complete tasks and a strong commitment to take action that moves things along to ensure delivery of objectives.
Ownership and accountability: takes personal accountability and ownership for their work. This includes personal follow through, making and defending difficult decisions and trade-offs, removing blockers, driving collective progress.
Continuous improvement: advances by ongoing, incremental improvement through continuous learning, questioning the status quo and trying out creative and novel ideas. Shows curiosity and has a keen interest to drive learning for themselves and others.
Improving CI/CD practices: suggests improvements to existing practices in the team so that there is an uplift in the quality of the product. Able to research new tools to enhance, measure and visualise quality, and implement them with the team’s support. Recognise the cause for falls in quality and takes actions to rectify them.
Mission and Values
Our mission is to be both the Technology Partner and Employer of choice for the UK General Insurance Market. Our values are central to this vision, as they represent how we collaborate how we work together in synergy and continually deliver for our customers:
- Accountability: We take personal pride in finding solutions and achieving results
- Innovation: We lead the market by being proactive, product-led and forward thinking
- Teamwork: We work collaboratively, recognising and celebrating success
- Trust: We build trust on integrity, transparency and respect
- We are looking for an individual who embraces our values in their actions, decisions, communications and processes to inspire positivity and, ultimately, exceptional performance.
- Competitive salary depending on skills and experience
- Positive, friendly and fun working environment
- Support for personal and professional development
- Daily lunches and additional benefits
- Private health insurance package
- Referral bonuses
- Social events
- Flexible working hours
Find us on: